- perform structural editing to obtain the required quality level
- perform copy editing to obtain the required quality level
- manage the editing and review cycle
- ensure consistency of a document with multiple authors
- edit own work and be aware of the limitations of not having an external editor
- edit other’s work
- provide effective feedback to an author by using appropriate mark-up techniques
- follow a style guide or other standards, where necessary, to ensure consistency of terminology, spelling, punctuation and other aspects of presentation.