Requirements analysis consists of determining the requirements of the stakeholders you are creating the information for. In a typical business context, stakeholders will include management within your organisation, subject matter experts and the users of the information.
Requirements analysis includes:
- understanding the needs of the business and other stakeholders
- determining the needs of the audience
- understanding the objectives of the client or commissioner of the writing
- using your professional knowledge and experience to add value to an existing client brief.
- interviewing the stakeholders
- performing any required background research
- documenting the requirements
- organising review and signoff by the stakeholders.
The results of your analysis are then recorded in an information plan.